On 29th July 1949 the Higgins Gallery opened to the public in Cecil Higgins’ old home. An extension was added in 1976 to allow greater exhibition space for the Watercolours and Ceramics, Porcelain and Glass and today it is renowned for its collection of Fine and Decorative Arts. Illustrating the history of British and European watercolour painting from 18th to 20th centuries, it represents leading artists such as Gainsborough, Constable, J.S. Cotman, Rowlandson and Turner. There Is also a collection of prints starting in the 16th Century which includes artists such as Bawden, Dix Durer, Rembrandt, Piranesi, Spencer, Warhol, Whistler, the Impressionists and Picasso. Costume, Textiles and Dresses are also on display.