The Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery first opened its doors in 1807 following a bequest from the well known anatomist and obstetrician Dr William Hunter. Hunter bequeathed his entire collection of art, coins, books and manuscripts to the University of Glasgow, together with funds to construct a museum. After several centuries and several relocations, Hunter’s bequest still makes up the heart of the collection. Housed in different buildings of the University of Glasgow, the Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery proudly presents a collection that has been recognised as being of National Significance. The museum holds the world’s largest permanent display of works by James McNeill Whistler but also features, amongst other things, works by Scottish artists Allan Ramsay and Sir Henry Raeburn. The collection includes famous paintings by Rembrandt and Chardin and animal pictures commissioned from Stubbs. Later bequests have included work by the French Impressionists, the Glasgow Boys and the Scottish Colourists.